2004-01-23

I’m having some trouble kicking open my voice these days, what with all these interviews and other such malarkey, who has time to say something?? Point one (irrelevant): Since Noah Gordon ‘lost’ the first incarnation of Human Verb, I’ve often wondered why, in the second incarnation, the layout changes on a daily basis. One day we’ve got the links on the top, another they’re at the bottom etc. etc. Well, I may have worked out the problem: this crazy CSS coding blogger uses with the templates. I’m still putting together The Interview and last night had the damnedest time getting the links into one column. Any good links to CSS the fast, easy, and fun way are greatly appreciated! Point two: Ever have one of those periods when no matter how much you write or how hard you try, everything is utter shit? Aside from some very silly ditties and such like, I didn’t write any poetry last year and my attempts this year are embarrassing to say the least. My test of good writing is to produce something that I can’t recognize as my own. Ben’s poetry 2004 is growing his stubble.. Point three: The discussion on Kasey’s blog on the Line in Space (a better title may be appropriate; I hear the “Pigs in Spaaaace!” from the muppets) is, IMHO very important. It has me wondering though how poets (we?) are using the term “space”. The space between words and letters on the page is certainly an important feature of typography; isn’t also what we might call the field or canvass of the poem. When we speak of space, I think of Lefebvre’s “space”, architectural space, the environment etc. I’m running out of time and I intend to continue this thread next time I feel like it J , but I should say that these concepts of space inject a certain amount of spontaneity and variability to individual poems as I was trying to suggest in Kasey’s feedback box. Perhaps Kent Johnson would agree?? I don’t know. One of the things on my to do list though is to counter the letter sent to Kent about his little game on architectural poetics (you know, the one beginning “poetry is not architecture”). But alas! I have (paid) work to do…

No comments: