2005-12-28

Contrary to popular belief, Stockhausen did not call the WTC attacks a great work of art in the way that the NYT and the other 4 media outlets reported. He mentions the actual quote in this interview. However, his recollection does not quite fit mine. Just after the NYT mis-quoted Stockhausen, the Stockhausen Verlag had a stream up of the actual interview. I recall him saying something along the lines of, "the greatest work of art of the devil." I was sure he had used 'Teufel' not 'Luzifer.' If you can't be bothered to read the interview, he says:

"The journalists did not report what I said. When I was asked after the attacks in America of Sept. 11th 2001 if the protagonists MICHAEL, EVA, LUZIFER of my 7 operas were mythological figures, I answered "No, they exist now, for example LUCIFER in New York, he performed the greatest work of art of destruction." Until now the intellectuals worldwide deny the existence of LUCIFER."

Just thought I'd clear that up even though I find Stockhausen's religionism troubling.

No comments: